Saturday, June 16, 2007

Fiesty Fawn

I am currently trying to almost completely switch to Ubuntu Linux right now, and for the most part, it is working just fine. Here are just the few things that I don't have completely working yet,

Running an ad-hoc wireless network
Getting WINE to work, because there are still a few Windows only programs I have to run
and not being able to delete the files on my other HDDs which are in the NTSF format

Other then that, Linux is working great.

BTW, if you are reading this, please comment so that I know that people actually read this.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Woo Hoo Ubuntu, and I do read your blog occasionally.

Unknown said...

If you want write access to NTFS volumes you should try the NTFS-3G driver, which can be installed like "sudo apt-get install ntfs-3g" or just find it in Synaptic. I've used it briefly, and it works great, and is actually your only solution. Also, if your wireless problems are just getting wireless to work at all, you may have hardware that doesn't have Linux drivers, but with NDIS wrapper (lets you use Windows drivers for WiFi cards in Linux) you could get your hardware working, but I've not ever tried to mess with NDIS wrapper, as the only laptop I have is a MacBook Pro, and putting Linux on those things isn't exactly a simple thing right now. And for Wine, well, you either can go on their forums for help, report the problems you're having, or just wait until an update fixes it (and if you're not using the latest version of Wine, because unless you install 3rd party repo's you won't, you should, here http://www.winehq.org/site/download-deb). Or you could just ask around on the Ubuntu forums, as there are people there that know more than I do.